Feeding the Sea Lions in Depoe Bay

Posted by Kristi / February 12, 2009

The summer before last, our group of six (me, my husband, our two daughters, my Mom, and my Mother-in-law) took our yearly trip to the coast. Of course my husband and I went out fishing one day, but that is just never enough for us.

After wetting our appetites crabbing off the fishing boat, we decided to try our hands at it from shore. The following evening we dropped the Mom’s off at the restaurant, and we took the kids down to the docks to throw a couple of crab pots in. We thought we were awfully lucky to be the only ones there, figuring the docks would be packed with other crabbers.

We loaded the pots and my husband threw them in. Even though only a few minutes had passed, we decided to pull up the first pot to see how it was doing. Imagine our surprise, when we found the pot was stripped! We loaded it up again, and threw it back out. Tentatively, we pulled up the other pot. It was cleaned out too!

As we stood there scratching our heads, I glanced out in the water in front of us. There within feet of the dock, was a sea lion sticking his head up, and looking right at us as if to say…. “Are you going to throw me some more food, or what?”

As much as we were laughing, we’re lucky none of us fell in the water. Outfoxed, we cleaned up and raced over to the restaurant. Sheepishly, we told our story to the Mom’s…. and then ordered a big plate of crabs.

Mike, Kristi, Shaylee and Inez Hendrickson

Leave a Comment Share This

Comments on this story:

1. Debbie says:

Makes me long for the time I spent in NW Washington State. Less than a mile from the Olympic National Forest. Use to take a picnic lunch out and watch the bay activity from the forested area. Oh how I miss that. Can I go with Ya’ when you go back?

posted February 24, 2009 at 7:00 am
  2. Karen says:

I love this story. I can see that sea lion now looking at you. How fun.

posted February 24, 2009 at 7:42 am
  3. Bob says:

Great Story…

posted February 24, 2009 at 8:01 am
  4. Catherine says:

What a great story!

posted February 24, 2009 at 8:12 am
  5. Julie says:

VERY funny story! Those sea lions will get you every time. I will be visiting Depoe Bay in April and will remember your story and tell the kids!

posted February 24, 2009 at 8:47 am
  6. Alma says:

And who says us humans are the smarter species? Very funny story. Sounds like the kind of thing I’d do.

posted February 24, 2009 at 9:54 am
  7. Diane says:

Kristi, I’m a friend of Mary Fran, and she shared this with me. What a great memory the girls will have, for a LONG time to come!

posted February 24, 2009 at 10:27 am
  8. Tiff~ says:

That is so funny! I hope next time you will get a pic of that lil creature!

posted February 24, 2009 at 10:38 am
  9. Cheryl says:

The crabs were lucky that day. LOL

posted February 24, 2009 at 11:37 am
  10. Sadie says:

We’ve been thinking of vising the coast for the past several years – this sounds like a lot of fun for our family.

posted February 24, 2009 at 12:49 pm
  11. bill hance says:

Very Good!!!!!!!!!!!

posted February 24, 2009 at 3:12 pm
  12. Deb says:

What a wonderful memory for your family. It sounds like a fun trip and something you look forward to every year. Thanks for sharing your story with me.

posted February 24, 2009 at 7:54 pm
  13. Mike says:

What a wonderful story and memories for your family to treasure!

posted February 25, 2009 at 9:02 am
  14. Cousin Debbie says:

What a great time!! You should come east and go fishing with us. We crab on the Hudson August and fish the Sound the rest of the spring and summer. Miss you.

posted February 25, 2009 at 10:30 am
  15. dave rusev says:

Funny story… I think that Depot Bay is the quaintest little coastal community that I’ve ever been in. Thanks for the story !

posted February 25, 2009 at 10:40 am
  16. tom Campbell says:

Looks like you had a fun trip!

posted February 25, 2009 at 12:51 pm
  17. Carolee says:

Kristi:
    Remember me? You used to work for me at Bogus Basin when you were just a kid. We love the coast and all the seafood that goes with it.

posted February 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm
  18. Unca Tommy says:

Those Sea Lions are crafty devils. I wonder if he’s waiting for the return of those tourists that bring dinner!!

posted February 25, 2009 at 8:38 pm
  19. Kim McKillop says:

This is the quintessential Oregon Coast adventure. For as many years as I have visited the area, these are the memories that make a family vacation truly outstanding. Ahh. . .makes me want to get in my car right now!

posted February 26, 2009 at 7:53 am
  20. Gene Bonner says:

This is a wonderfull story, It’s really great that you had the chance to write this down and share it. Too often we don’t take time to stop and appreciate the funnier side of life. I’m looking forward to the next story.

posted February 26, 2009 at 9:03 pm
  21. Yvonne says:

Wonderful and funny tale.

posted February 27, 2009 at 2:25 pm
  22. Linnea says:

I love Depoe Bay! Beautiful place!

posted March 18, 2009 at 4:46 pm
  23. OCVA says:

Congratulations! Your story is the winner of February’s ‘Share your Story’ contest. You have won a trip for 2 on Jerry’s Rogue Jets in Gold Beach.

posted April 1, 2009 at 9:35 am